Sunday, October 21, 2012

Five Minute T Shirt Shrug


So I admit...
I did NOT spend the WHOLE time holding the baby last week. Steve told me I HAD to let Katie and Adam hold him once in awhile.
WHATEVER.......
So, since I was forced to give the new parents a chance at holding my new grandson, I did sneak away to check out the nearby Goodwill store.
It was my lucky day!
All the pink tags were half price so of course, being the cheapster that I am, and being spoiled by my local thrift store prices, I only looked at pink tag items.
I found this cute dress for $2.00.
All I had to do was take it in under the sleeves a bit, otherwise it was a perfect fit. I loved the color, pattern and the fun lacy detail on the front.
But it IS fall and the days are getting cooler and I'm losing my nice summer tan, so I much prefer to wear sleeves to school.
I thought it would be fun to make a long sleeved shrug from this gray thrift store t-shirt that I've had in my stash for quite awhile.
First cut right up the middle of the shirt.
Then cut off the collar.
Fold under the raw edge and stitch to form a casing for the ribbon.
Cut a 55 inch piece of ribbon.
Thread it through the casing, using a safety pin.
Pull ribbon tight and tie to get this look:
I can't wait to wear my new dress to school this week.
A big thank you to my good friend Kris!
Not only did she give me her "old" Rebel XT Canon camera, when I started blogging, but since my "fashion photographer" was turkey hunting today, Kris took the after pictures. Her generosity and  genuine ways, never cease to amaze me. I love you, Kris!
You might also enjoy:

4 comments:

Adele said...

That's gorgeous. I've made a couple of them and I wear them all the time. So cute and comfy!

- Adele @ Mammy Made

Far said...

Lovely shrug! and congrats on the little addition to your family!

Refashion said...

Lovely shrug and a clever quick refashion idea.. The dress looks great too.

Debbie EOD

Cucicucicoo said...

fantastic! i love it! and congrats on the new grandbaby! :) lisa